February 3, 2011

Chicken Gyro Pizza

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem


Its no secret we like our pizza around here, but every now and then even pizza lovers like ourselves need a refreshing break from the norm. Sure, there's the roasted garlic pizza, a grilled eggplant pizza, a barbecue pizza, heck there's even a dessert pizza, so why not add another to the mix?


The inspiration for this chicken gyro pizza was my craving for a good, authentic gyro and my need to use up leftovers (as usual!). The star of this dish is the slow marinated chicken in shwarma spice which you can find at any Arab or international market (alternatively you can make your own spice mix). From there, I thought about my favorite gyro/shwarma toppings and settled on lots of olives and caramelized peppers and of course, the tzatziki sauce. Sure, authentic tzatziki should have some hint of cucumber in it, but I didn't have any that day and made do with yogurt and dill weed.


So next time you want a little change from the norm (or maybe a quick and easy Superbowl dinner?) think outside the box and try combining some of your favorite flavors with traditional recipes. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results!




Chicken Gyro/Shwarma Pizza
1 pizza dough recipe
1lb chicken boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon garlic & ginger paste
1 tablespoon yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons shwarma spice mix
your choice of toppings (olives, onions, peppers)
shredded mozzarella
tzatziki sauce:
2 tablespoons yogurt
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
pinch of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. Cut chicken into bit-sized pieces. Combine chicken with garlic and ginger, 1 tablespoon yogurt, lemon juice, shwarma spice mix, and salt and pepper to taste.Marinate at least 30 minutes or upto 3 hours. 

2. Cook chicken pieces on medium high heat just until no longer pink. Its okay if its not cooked all the way, it will continue to cook in the oven on the pizza.

3. Spread thin layer of pizza sauce or tomato paste on rolled out out pizza dough, top with chicken and toppings of your choice. Bake at 420 F on lowest rack in oven for 25 - 30 minutes until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly. 

4. Drizzle sauce on pizza as soon as it comes out of the oven.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that makes me hungry!!! Do you have a whole wheat pizza recipe to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Azra, I actually use a white whole wheat flour for all my baking (sweets included!), the eagle mills version has always turned out good for me alhamdulillah (http://www.ultragrain.com/eagle_mills_flours.jsp).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! A shawerrma pizza. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawarma+Pizza=Yumm
    I'm not good at math but even I know this equation is more than correct :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired!

    Extremely useful information specially the ultimate section :) I take
    care of such information much. I used to be seeking this
    particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.


    Also visit my web page maxlinker.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I relish, lead to I found exactly what I was having a look for.
    You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you
    man. Have a great day. Bye


    build muscle now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Useful information. Fortunate me I discovered your web site accidentally,
    and I am surprised why this coincidence didn't happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

    My webpage male enhancement reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. Might this tomorrow - if I can find the ingredients - looks really good though
    Just wanted to ask do you have to use tzatziki sauce?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! As always, feedback and reviews are appreciated...happy cooking!