November 26, 2010

Pumpkin Donut Holes

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I don't know if its the bright orange leaves outside my window or the crisp, cool air at mid-afternoon (freezing by nightfall!), but I've had a really, really strong craving for something pumpkin-y lately. And I don't just mean your regular pumpkin pie (don't worry, we finished our first one yesterday and hopefully that'll be the first of many pumpkin pies this season!), I wanted something different yet traditional. And most importantly, easy.


This recipe was not only easy and delicious, it really hit that pumpkin-spot. In fact, I only made it about 20 minutes ago and left dinner cooking in the oven to quickly come and tell you all about it so you can also get to making it this, ASAP!


Now if you excuse me, the last of the Pumpkin holes are calling my name...!



Quick and Easy Pumpkin Donut Holes
Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 cups flour
    • 1/3 cup sugar
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
    • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    • 1/4 cup milk
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 eggs
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

  1. Heat oil for deep frying (375°F).
  2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
  3. Mix pumpkin, milk, oil, vanilla and egg.
  4. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  5. Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot oil 5-6 at a time.
  6. Fry 1-2 minutes, on each side, until golden brown.
  7. Drain on paper towels.
  8. Mix sugar and cinnamon; roll warm donuts in mixture.

6 comments:

  1. Asa.

    My gramma makes a similar thing but with a twist. She mixes grated pumpkin with grated jaggery, powdered aniseed, cardamom powder and mixes it well to make doughy consistency and fried those pumpkin balls in oil. Absolutely no oil added!

    ReplyDelete
  2. assalamualaikum..
    can u show the brand of the mashed pumpkin? i can see it's stated there as it is 100% pumpkin - means no sugar added, is it so? i'm looking for 100% canned mashed pumpkin here in malaysia.

    jazakillah khayral jaza2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cardamom version sound delicious!

    Syaz: the brand is Libby's, and I'm pretty sure there's no added sugar...but dont quote me on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam,

    Never tried any of these sweet recipes with pumpkin and I think I really should! I always wondered if you use it tinned or if you have to make your own! *blush* I'll have to see if the tins are available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UmmI: pumpkin flavored stuff is soooo good! I've always used the canned purees. You can throw in a couple tablespoons into your pancake/waffle batter too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! As always, feedback and reviews are appreciated...happy cooking!