September 28, 2010

Oven Fries

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem


I'm almost embarrassed to admit where the inspiration for this recipe came from, but I have to be fair and give credit where credit is due: it was from Racheal Ray and though I can't locate the exact recipe, it had something to do with a bag of frozen fries and a packet of taco seasoning.  It was one of the first recipes I tweaked on my own and today I'm proud to say it bears very little resemblance to the original, alhamdulillah!


I'm constantly changing the recipe around to suit whatever food it will be paired with that evening. Sometimes the potatoes are cut thin and spiced with garlic and cumin to go with a lamb shoulder or cut thick and chunky and doused with red chili powder and pepper flakes to go alongside spicy chicken fajitas. Tonight was somewhere in the middle and I ended up using red potatoes (it's all I had!) and they still turned out great.




Throw these into a preheated oven the first thing as you start to cook your meal and they'll be ready as the rest of the food wraps up. Of course you can tweak all the seasonings to your preference but remember to save the salt until the end. Sprinkle it on to taste as they come out hot from the oven for best results.


Oven Fries
2 Russett Potatoes (allot one potato per person), peeled or with peel and washed well
2 tblsp olive oil
1 tblsp cajun seasoning (or your blend of favorite spices or herbs)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Pre-heat oven to 415

2. Slice potato into 1/4"  - 1/2" wedges. I get the best amount out of slicing the whole potato into thirds length wise, and then cutting each slice into wedges.

3. Arrange in a single layer on a foil covered baking sheet. Pour over oil and seasoning. Toss with hands for even coating.

4. Bake at least 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt and pepper, serve immediately.

4 comments:

  1. So, you don't like Rachel Ray?! I love oven fries or roasted potatoes. They are delicious, and this spice blend sounds tasty too! I like to spice mine with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper, and cumin. Delicious. The skins will add needed vitamins and minerals.
    By the way, your new look is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, was it that obvious? Its not that I don't like her, its that shes just so annoying! ok, so maybe I don't like her, lol. I also try to leave the skins on as much as possible, great tip! Glad you like the new look...I'm not sure if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essalam Alaikum, I love oven fries! So much healthier than fried. I think RR is annoying too! I thought I was the only one. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walaikum Salaam! So happy you like the recipe :) Oh, and did you know there are I Hate RR clubs out there? lol...we're not the only ones!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! As always, feedback and reviews are appreciated...happy cooking!