August 8, 2010

"Best" Carrot Sheet Cake

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem


Remember that BBQ I went to a while back? We decided the cupcakes wouldn't be enough on their own so I frantically searched for an appropriate summer-y cake to bake at the last minute. I'm not sure if it was just my own personal craving or the idea of orange carrots somehow reminding me of the late sunsets of the summer, but I went with a carrot cake. While searching for a recipe I came across at least a dozen that promised to be the best! the moistest! the greatest all time carrot cake ever!


This is only the 2nd carrot cake recipe I've made and in my very limited recipe, I feel it's The Best so far. And judging by the reaction of the other party-goers, they did too, alhamdulillah.



Best Carrot Sheet Cake
(I originally found this recipe online, it has since been removed but my printed out version has a reference to Southern Living, March 2003)

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
3/4 cup buttermilk (I used regular ol' 2%)
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated carrots (I added another 1/2 cup or so to finish up my carrots)
8 oz crushed pineapple (drained)
3 1/2 oz can sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup pecans or walnut, chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting

1. Stir together first 4 ingredients

2. Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating on low speed until mixed. Fold in carrots and next 3 ingredients.

3. Pour batter into a greases 13 x 9" baking pan (this will bake right up to the top into a thick cake)

4. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Then cover with foil loosely to avoid over-browning, and bake 13 minutes more or until a tester comes out clean. Cool completely in pan before icing.

5 comments:

  1. Ohh mannn! That looks deliciousssssssss, mashallah!!!! =) Btwwww, how did you cut the watermelon like that? What a creative idea, mashallah! Loll. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. someone else brought that watermelon, though I've cut some like that in the past. You just use a knife!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been making this carrot cake recipe for years, simply the best!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! As always, feedback and reviews are appreciated...happy cooking!